Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

I remember when...

I remember going for long drives with no particular destination in mind.... I'd hop in the car with a friend and my camera and we'd go. Sometimes, If all my friends were busy... I'd go alone. Just go...

Usually, to someplace I'd never been before. Sometimes to a particularly memorable spot. Often times following roads I'd never noticed before; just to see where they went and Just so I could say "I've  been there".

I always had maps, a gps, lots of music, and some camping/survival gear with me. So getting lost wasn't a concern. And I was young and reckless back then. I would have just considered it an adventure. :)



Anyway, I took this photo 20ish years ago on a drive through St George , NB. My photography has improved a bit since then. I'd be interested to see what I could do with that scene now. But, it's a good memory none-the-less.

I went swimming in that river that day. Not on purpose of course. It was my first time kayaking and I fell in (I have horrible balance, even then).

I am actually quite amazed that I didn't lose my glases in the river. I never thought to bring a strap to hold them on. I was just lucky I guess.

But.... I remember it; and THAT is saying something. My memory is quite spotty these days...

St George, NB - Copyright by Mark D. Lipton
But now, since my brain has decided to stop talking to my eyes, I can't drive anymore. And even if I could, the price of gas and everything else make any more regular (or even occasional) back-road adventures very unlikely, if not impossible...

--- Mark ---